Translate word (or text selection) from any language to the language of your choice by pointing or clicking at it.
Also you can (enable in options):
– reverse translate: from your own language to the language of your choice
– type and translate in a popup
– copy translation to clipboard
"Your data on all websites":
TransOver needs to be able to read any word on a page – "Your data …" – in order to translate it. On any website you want it working – "… on all websites".
"Your tabs and browsing activity":
Required for language autodetect, so that TransOver knows what language to translate from (details http://code.google.com/chrome/extensions/tabs.html#method-detectLanguage).
100% CLEAN Softpedia award – https://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Internet-Applications-Addons/Chrome-Extensions/TransOver.shtml#status
– Fix hover menus closing unintentionally
– Add ability to configure font size
– remove youtube fix – it seems to be no longer required
– fix not working on youtube
– make "translate into" field look more like a required field
– fix occasional exception showing up in dev tools
– Add "disable on this page" checkbox to type-and-translate popup.
– Changing options no longer requires to reload pages.
– Fix web components deprecation warnings.
– Change google translate API url. The old one seems to be getting blocked more and more.
– Fix regression. T&T popup wasn't showing translation.
– Optionally show "translated from" language in a popup. Because source langage autodetect often makes funny choices and then people blame TransOver for incorrect/missing translations. This will hopefully act as a hint to go and change "translate from" option from autodetect to a set language.
– Add "copy translation" feature
– Fix errors in developer console
– Add option to translate on whitelisted sites only (credit https://github.com/yamanq/translate_onhover)
– Fix "reverse translate to" dropdown not being fully populated
– Fix TTS looping when key is pressed and held
– Smaller and crispier font
– if site is added to "don't translate on these sites", don't inject template elements. So that they don't show up in OWA new email form
– attempt to fix template content being appended to contenteditable body (OWA new email form)
– fix certain sites (e.g. facebook, youtube) being subtly broken for _some_ users. By not using html imports, since Chrome appears to be buggy in that respect.
– fix selection translation appearing in the corner
– fix "letter-spacing" parent style leaking into the popup
– dismiss popup on scroll
– new icon
– slower tts
– inner refactoring: iframes -> web components
– use Speech Synthesis API for text-to-speech
– add "from" to type-and-translate popup
– don't use chrome.tts. Like ever again
– use chrome.tts api
– get back "Translate from" option
– fix exception showing up in js console
– fix showing only first sentence of selection translation
– fix hotkey setup
– less ugly "type and translate" popup
– better way to figure out unsuccessful translation
– support new google api
– configurable tts key
– rollback z-index increase – previous value was the correct maximum
– max z-index so that popup always stays on top
– revert "cache regexp" optimization
– don't use chrome.tts
– count apostrophes as word characters. So that d'abord, don't, etc. get proper translation.
– fix tts
– skip editable divs (fixes google+, youtube, etc. comments)
– redirect to options after install
– fix tts for "type and translate"
– fix occasional exception in chrome js console
– fix xss security issue
– allow disabling reverse translate if "translate from" is chosen
– add option to choose show popup trigger (previously, 'alt' was the only option)
– fix large selection translation not getting proper height
– fix broken single word translation
– only show type-and-translate popup in top frame (so that bits of it do not show up in facebook, g+ buttons)
– upgrade jquery to get rid of source map exception in dev console
– fix broken tts for multiword translation
– better "don't translate clicking links"
– don't translate when clicking on links
– track source langage properly
– add google analytics
– better popup implementation (possibly fixes wrong popup size)
– smaller dependencies
– fix "choose target lang" broken link
– fix missing icons
– improve popup layout in g+
– smaller package (so it installs faster)
– fix tts
– fix broken popup layout on latest chrome and chromium
– fixed major brokenness caused by google api changes
– add option to only translate selection when alt pressed
– add reverse translate when 'autodetect from word' is chosen
– translate all frames
– make 'Oops.. no translation' optional
– better ignore editable divs
– fix tts not working for type and translate mode
– ignore gmail and g+ editable divs
– button for 'type and translate' popup
– popup more resilient to current page style (been moved to iframe)
– set text direction right-to-left for Arabic, Hebrew, Persian, Urdu and Yiddish
– save options on Enter
– only offer to choose language once (per page load)
– change default autodetect method from locale to word
– add Esperanto
– translate in a popup
– fix broken translation for text that contains regex special characters: ), $, etc.
– bring back 'translate from' option
– reverse translate
– reliable source language autodetect; as a result, getting rid of manual source language option
– 'do not translate on sites' option is less confusing
– change 'translated only if X pressed' from 'shift' to 'alt'
– make Text-To-Speech optional and disabled by default
– expose 'translate from' option
– redesign options page to hide advanced options behind separate link
– text to speech on ctrl press
– jquery updated to 1.7.1
– fix adjustment for parent font-size going not quite as planned
– fix translating wrong word (not the one behind cursor) in rare cases (that was due to * style font-size being different from element font-size)
– ignore mouse 'noise' movements (so popup does not flicker)
– enable 'delay' option only when 'translate by point at word' and not 'shift only'
– fixed unescaped html. again.
– 'translate by click' option added
– fixed performance issue on pages with large text nodes
– selection translation popup no longer shows up anywhere on the page (#17)
– updated available languages
– gotten rid of calls to Google Translate API (since it is deprecated)
– proper cased (as opposed to always lower case) translation (#16)
– make sure translation popup doesn't get out of the window (#14)
– more prominent translation popup (#13)
– no longer attempts to translate selection in text inputs (#12)
– translation no longer changes styles of underlying text (#11). Thanks to Dmitriy Kostikov for pointing in the right direction
– no more explicit 'translate from' option – autodetect is good enough. Also fixes #8
– fixed: erases closing tag on html/xml listing (#6)
– fixed: part of speech is now bold on every page (#9)
– text selection translate (#4)
– fixed: drops text selection (#7)
– report translation fail. As opposed to simply not showing anything to user
– hide translation on page scroll
– prompt user to choose target language, in case it isn't set. Useful for new installs
– source language is now a configurable option (defaults to 'autodetect')
– translation delay is now configurable option
– remove "don't translate from these languages" option
– gotten rid of explicit api call to detect language. Turns out dictionary api can do it itself.
– popup fadeIn/fadeOut. As opposed to hide/show
– reduced delay before translation start